Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Kilig Factor

This Might Help series is a series of articles that might help you in your pursuit of God. I don’t say that what I wrote is all you need. The bible is always the best source of information about God through Jesus.

The purpose of this series is to share to people how God is now revealing Himself to me so that just in case, people are actually reading my articles, it might help them as much as it helped me.

But before I continue to part 3, I want to write about why some people seek God. I find it useless to read the This Might Help series if I am really not interested in knowing God. Or why will I be interested in knowing God? What will make me spend my time researching or reading about the Lord? Why, oh why?

The best answer I can give you is my own.

A good story always tart with a ‘kilig’ and is maintained by ‘kilig.’ I don’t know if this applies to all situations but in my view, I think this is usually the case.

What is kilig? I don’t know how to exactly say it but it is the tagalog word that describes a feeling of over excitement (???)…I don’t know…but you usually feel it when someone does to you something creative that you don’t expect and it touches your heart so badly to the point of holding your breath for a long time, blushing or weakening of immune system and then you lose out of control. Generally, this is the effect of ‘good chemistry’ between a love couple.

There’s no kilig factor if you know exactly what the guy or the girl is gonna do, or it is not creative or it just don’t touch your heart that much. There’s simply no chemistry. We can say that kilig is subjective. Kilig is personal. There are things that will make me kilig that will not make you kilig and vice versa.

Kilig indicates the start of something new and exciting. Kilig is like a hook to a relationship with another person. It is the catalyst of a feeling of longing or desiring to know more about the other person.

I have a good orientation about kilig because I write love stories. And most love stories I write starts with a kilig factor. And an encounter (or a series of encounters) between the lovers need/s to take place first before the kilig moments.

It is sort of weird if you feel the feeling of kilig without even seeing the other person. You need to at least have a glimpse of the person first before you feel this kind of feeling.

This kilig thingie has been the hook of my relationship with the Lord. This kilig factor is one of the reasons why I continuously seek my God.

My love story with the Lord began when a dear professor of mine published her first book. The book had a soft launch in a Christian church and she asked me to go there to claim my free copy. I planned to just get my copy and leave. So I went in a born-again church for the first time. But when I got there, there was an on-going service and she asked me to just sit down and listen to the speaker before she hand me out my copy.

And I cannot foget the title of the first preaching I heard – oneness with Christ. It was year 2008 and I wasn’t a believer back then. I grew up in the Catholic Church where I was taught how to become right with God. Why do I want to be right with God? They told me that my prayers won’t be answered if I’m bad. Or God will send me to hell. And of course I do not wanna go there. So I did my best to be religious. It was quite tiring.

When I heard the speaker preach, he was speaking not on how-to-become-right but for the first time in my life ever, I heard a preaching on I-already-am-right in Christ.

I was like “ What? Jesus and I are one? Because Jesus is righteous, so am I? Are you freak’n insane?”

My plan was ruined because I stayed and finished the service. I got my copy and I felt surprisingly good. This is the truth that they preached and I felt I wanted to hear more. This is too different from what I was taught. Like, so different!

That moment was my encounter with God. That time, I felt the kilig. The preaching was totally unexpected. I did not ever ever thought of being one with God. I was taught that God is always higher, sitting on His throne, doing His job and I’m a lowly human who should follow what He commands me.

I have not received the Lord that time. I had no idea I needed to be saved. But that time, I felt like a tired worker who carries heavy debris everyday just to earn money. Then the tired worker found out that Someone has already worked hard so that the worker can earn not just a big amount of money but so many other additions.

That’s why I decided to go to that church every Sunday to find out more. I can compare myself to a girl who continuously visits the facebook page of a guy she saw somewhere. Until I did not notice, I almost finished one year going to that church just to hear more of what I heard.

From that day on, I have been seeking God for more revelations of Himself. As I get to know Him more, the advantages and good surprises of having a God and loving Him is slowly manifesting.

So why did I start seeking God?

I felt kilig the first time I met Him. I find Him totally unexpected and surprisingly good. He is an out-of-the-box creative thinker. He brings me to heights and depths where never in my monotonous life did I dream of or even just thought of going. He keeps me amazed, surprised throughout my life. I love it when he breaks my day plans and ends up having a better and more exciting day.

People know that I am a good planner but not a good executor. When I wake up in the morning, I already know what I am supposed to do throughout the day. And this self-centered habit of mine made my life so predictable and boring. My life had no kilig factor at all.

Then God came and everything changed. At first, He never fail to frustrate me because He always meddle with my plans. However, I enjoyed my life with the Lord because of that. Ngayon, I’m starting to get use to it. God is so cool. He keeps me in a kilig mode with His manifestations in my life.

And as I seek God, I begin to know more about Him and I am realizing that I need Him in all the areas of my life.

If you are to ask other Christians why they seek their God, they will tell you different stories. It could be when he needed a healing, God healed him. Or she was in need of money and there was an unexpected stranger who gave her the exact amount. How I would love to hear that our kababayans encounter God through this blog. I encountered God while reading the websites on the Try Niyo To Dali section.

But all these can be summarized to this: we seek God because deep inside us, we know that we know that we know, we need Him.

A guy seeks a girl (or vice versa) because he knows that he “needs” that other person.

Until you realize that you need the Lord, you will never search for Him, you will not spend time to know Him and of course, you will never love Him.

God desires for a personal encounter with each and every one of us. As long as you have not experience a personal encounter with God, you will not desire to know Him more.

If you do not feel this feeling towards God, maybe what you need is a personal encounter from Him. God wants to be your personal God. He is our Abba Father. Just as a father is naturally close to his kids and vice versa, so are we with Him supposedly.

Yes, He is King, He is creator of all. He is Most High. But God wants to be very close in my heart and yours. The Bible even says God knows the number of hair we have in our heads.

Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Luke 12:7

God is that personal! I bet even your mom doesn’t know the number of the strands of our hair. Haha!

God is seeking for a personal relationship. In fact, he wants to be the number one in anyone’s heart. That close!. Even closer than your parents or your partner or your spouse.

I can boldly write that yes, you need God. I dare you. If you ask God for a personal encounter, He will show up. It might be instant or in the future but He will not hide Himself from you anymore. Just ask. Just ask Him for a personal encounter.

If you think you need a God, just call upon His name. He will show up surely.

He probably has shown up a lot of times in your life, you just have not acknowledged. It’s not too late, dudes and gals. It’s not too late. Just speak the magic words, He’ll put you in kilig mode.

Ready? I just want you to pray this short prayer. Not just in mind but speak this prayer out.

Abba Father,

I want to have a personal encounter with you. Jesus, I want to have a personal encounter with you. Meet with me, My God. You said in your word that whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Lord, I call upon you now. I need you…big time. Don’t delay. Come, Lord Jesus.

In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

How to identify an encounter? It is possible that you literally encounter God in the spirit. Or, It is an event in your life (situations, trials, gatherings, etc.) where deep inside, you know it was God or God was so close or God had something to do with it. And there was a sudden change. A hunger for Him has been born. Let Him surprise you as He did to me. Trust me when I say, He knows what makes you kilig.


1 comment:

  1. Galing, Ryan. You really have a heart for leading people to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete