Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Paglingon sa Pinanggalingan

(Looking Back)

One year had passed since I was able to blog. My last article in my multiply account was written on Mar 8, 2010 – the very day after my unilab race where I set a personal record.

I continued racing, btw. But I have not broken that record yet. I have never again finished a 5K race without walking. I truly ended my 21 years with a blast, not knowing that the following year is even more explosive.

This article is about how explosive my first year as a young man had been. I wrote this article on Mar. 16, 2011, a few days before I end my 22nd year. Then the blog will officially exist on my birthday. But my b-day falls on a Sabbath that’s why I decided to launch it on the 21st.

In my last multiply article, the end word there is “run.” Run! That’s what I have been doing after my 21st birthday. Not literally, but, I mean, in life. I think that is what life is all about – not about the finish line, but how I will run to the finish line with others, in Christ.

I speak like this not to boast that “I’ve been there, done that.” As we grow old, we realize that we still need to learn a lot. I have not reached any peak yet. I just started living. But as what I have written in my old blog, I listen and take in words of wisdom that will help me in my life race.

Get wisdom, get understanding;
do not forget my words or turn away from them.
Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
love her, and she will watch over you.
The beginning of wisdom is this: Get[
a] wisdom.
Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Proverbs 4:5-7

This past blogless year, I have earned wounds and battle scars – things that kept me from writing. Hardships,truly, are unavoidable.

Don't blame fate when things go wrong—
trouble doesn't come from nowhere.
It's human! Mortals are born and bred for trouble,
as certainly as sparks fly upward.
Job 5:6-7

According to Pastor Paul Chase, if you want a life without problems, go to heaven. Living a Christian life does not mean a problem-free life.

Having that in mind, it’s easy to say but when you’re in the middle of those hardships, it is somewhat hard to stand on these things that you “learn.”

But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” Matthew 7:26-27

I am like this most of the time. I hear the Word, I know it and I thought I learned it even though I don’t practice. I believe this is why the Holy Spirit was sent – to remind me of the things I “learn” and help me learn them by heart by leading me to situations where I can practice them.

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

God did not promise me a problem-free life. True! But God did not say He will leave me in the middle of a hardship.

“Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5

In fact, He promises deliverance. The fact that I am writing again is evidence that I was able to endure through Christ.

Yes, it was a rough year. Had some difficulties in job, family, finances, and even in my Christian life. Lost a loved one recently. I realized lately that you have not tasted life and its reality until you have lost a loved one. All these experiences humbled me, one way or another. And I realized that I badly need the Lord in my life.

Without Him, I’m probably one selfish, bitter and depressed emo (like I was before I met the Lord).

However, life is not always about trials. With every difficulty, there is victory. So I say now that I had victory in job, family, finances and in my Christian life. Published a coffee table book that I designed. Got a raise (Praise the Lord!). Learned real life lessons. And most importantly, got closer to the Lord by knowing Him better.

As what Life Runner blogged, “Whatever happens, I will keep running no matter what! =)” It is always my choice – to keep moving on or to stay in the past. Regardless of where I want to go, or where I think I will go, I should keep moving on. This is probably why the Lord wanted me to challenge myself with a race where I should not stop running till I reach the finish line. He’s a genius.

Keep running, keep moving, even though you really have no idea where fate will bring you. Well, only God knows that. He is “fate.” That is why I am glad I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior before I went out as a young man. He truly held me together during a year of full-throttle and extremely challenging trials.

That’s why before another crazy round begins, I decided to look back to my starting point , not to dwell on it but rather to remind myself of who I was before the present me. I can say that I have grown a lot, not only physically, but also mentally, emotionally and, thank God, spiritually too.

Just now, I was reminded that the Lord Jesus was, in fact, my starting point.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End. Revelations 22:13

I could not have taken off without Him. I’m like an airplane. Without gas, I’m immobile. The Lord is like the gas. I was the pilot. The Lord was with me when my adventure began and until now, He never left my side. He is my strength and my power. And as I go to another phase of MY earthly life, the Lord Jesus is telling me that He wants to be the sole pilot of my airplane. He wants me to stop controlling my life and to trust Him more than I used to. I will expound on this on another entry though.

Face it, we cannot run our race alone. We need family and friends. They are God-given. That’s why we need to cherish them. And I am blessed with such family and friends.

Truly, no man is an island. It is one of the greatest lessons one can learn – that he/she can’t do it on his/her own. The world can really bring us down and is very heavy when it falls on us. We need someone who have overcome the world.

In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I (Jesus) have overcome the world.” John 16:33

And as I end this long prologue, I encourage you to take a first step closer to God, to your Lord Jesus. He has been there all along. You just don’t notice Him. So, if you don’t mind, speak this prayer with me…

Father God,

I come before you today, full of questions in my heart. I know you because I hear stuff about you. If not every Sunday, I hear you from people who talk to me. If not, I read about you in articles like this one. I never really know if I should believe the words they say or write about you because I never have experienced it. That’s why Father God, I come before you to say to you that I want to experience this too.

I want to know you more. Reveal yourself to me. Lord, who are you really? It is true that I feel tired in life. What I am going through is not a joke. But how come your people claim that despite the calamities of life, they still find joy in your presence. They keep on running and moving on but yet not bitter and stone-hearted. I want you, Lord, to reveal yourself to me so that I am secure and confident that whatever I face in life, I will overcome and not just overcome, but overcome victoriously. I think I need you Lord. May you show yourself to me.

This I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment